Monday, December 12, 2011

Slang Chickens Rock My Floor

The Slang Chickens may be from Los Angeles, but they sound more like they belong somewhere further north or east or on a ranch somewhere out in the desert. At times taking elements of Social Distortion and fusing it together with some twang, the band sound like a countrified lounge act that's not quite ready to be rockabilly and not quite angry enough to be punk rock. Their single, My Floor, is a rustic, dusty, endearing little EP that's melodic and rooted in Americana but sounds like so much more.

With a host of influences and sounds permeating each song, The Slang Chickens are far from just another Americana band. This is a band with ideas and the eccentricities to back it up. My Floor is an entertaining record that shows that Americana can be as diverse as the name would seem to imply, and I think that's why I didn't throw this out of my CD player upon hearing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment