Monday, September 10, 2012

Smoke Fairies Don't Speak


I have to be completely honest here...I'm not sure you could find a more accurate name for the Smoke Fairies than that. You see these folkies create fantastical meandering acoustic music that sounds like it came from those mythical creatures of the same name. Their latest album Blood Speaks is frail, fragile, and small and barely raises its voice throughout the ten songs that make it up.

Blood Speaks is a quiet and intimate record that's almost a little too quiet and too intimate to be listenable. It's strummy, atmospheric folk stuff that kind of wanders around in an almost ghostly like way with no solid form or direction. There's no doubt these girls can play and write songs, it's just that they're too folky and too quiet for me to be interested in them. While they try to liven things up with bits and bobs of instrumentation and the album has a bit more depth to it than most of its peers it's still a moaning and unobtrusive record that seems to suck the energy right out of your soul.

You know my feelings on folk, you know I can't stand acoustic guitars and moaning vocals and unfortunately no matter how hard they try, everything Smoke Fairies does boils back down to that. Blood Speaks barely speaks enough and I think that's why I had a hard time listening to this, it just doesn't speak to me in any way, shape, or form.

No comments:

Post a Comment