Monday, September 10, 2012

Giraffage Lose It


Ok...I know I always rave about how Kitsune is consistently one of the best electro labels on the planet and they still are...but I think they may have dropped the ball with Giraffage's new single Even Though. Why's that you say? Well for some strange reason Giraffage decides to make the vocal on this record sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks on LSD. It's just plain annoying and quite honestly I have no idea how this sort of thing has wiggled its way into dance music; it’s horrible. I'd much rather has a wailing diva with laryngitis than a pack of chipmunks squeaking away.

Needless to say, Even Though might be the worst thing I've heard on Kitsune in the last five or six years. Even the remixes can't elevate the tune to tolerable levels without removing the vocals altogether. The Teen Daze remix tries and fails, Slow Magic does the same through various methodologies and while there are some cool beats and synth washes the vocal sample just kills this tune. Reid comes close with his remix and actually almost leaves off the vocal altogether while the single is saved from complete failture by the downtempo masterpiece of One AM Radio who revert the vocal to a normal pitch and make the song a Balearic classic waiting to be found.

Even Though isn't much to get excited about. It's just too annoying for that. If I were you, I'd just pick up the One AM Radio remix and be happy...because that's the best you're going to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment